Financial Aid and Scholarships

Applying for Financial Aid
Scholarship and Financial Assistance
Student Employment
Book Vouchers
Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Failure to Meet SAP
Pace of completion
Maximum Financial Aid Eligibility

Applying for Financial Aid

Those students who are qualified to receive financial aid based on demonstrated financial need must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All applicants for Central Methodist University scholarships and grant funds should have their Free Application for Federal Student Aid filed by February 1 if they are to have priority in the awarding of funds. Financial Assistance awards are made as soon as the applicant has been accepted for admission, and the results of the FAFSA have been received by the Office of Financial Assistance.

Students may complete the FAFSA at Students must designate Central Methodist University as a recipient of the need analysis report from the application. Our Title IV school code is 002453. The FAFSA application can be submitted after October 1. Each student must make application annually for renewal of all state and federal financial assistance by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

Central Methodist University reserves the right to modify financial awards initially or at renewal if the student receives additional aid, if there is a significant change in the parent's or student's income or assets, if there is incorrect information on the FAFSA application, if the student does not meet the prescribed requirements for a specific scholarship, or if there is a change in student status involving either enrollment or housing. A professional judgment determination will be made within 30 days after the submission of the required paperwork.

Students engaged in a study abroad program are eligible to receive Title IV Federal Student aid if the program is approved for credit by the University. The study abroad program does not have to be a required part of the student's degree program.

Scholarships and Financial Assistance

The Office of Financial Assistance endeavors to assist deserving students and their families by making it financially possible to attend Central Methodist University. Scholarship and grant funds are provided in part by the generous gifts of alumni, curators and friends of the University. State and federal student assistance programs are also used to assist students financially in attending CMU. The primary criterion for determining the amount of financial assistance a student is eligible to receive is financial need. It is the responsibility of the student and his or her family to fund the educational cost of attending college. In addition, many scholarships and grants are awarded on the basis of academic excellence, leadership, character, and talent. 

All students receiving institutional financial aid are required to live on campus unless, before the first day of the semester's classes, they are [1] married, [2] the custodial parent of a minor child living with them, [3] over 21 years of age, [4] in their fifth year of college, or, [5] living with a parent in the parent's primary residence within 35 miles of Fayette. To receive institutional aid or the state need-based grant, a student must be enrolled full time in an undergraduate CLAS degree program. To receive the Federal Stafford Loan, a student must be enrolled at least half time. The number of hours enrolled determines the amount, if any, of the Federal Pell Grant. Federal Pell Grant awards are limited to twelve semesters (600% of eligibility).  Subsidized Federal Stafford loans are limited to 150% of a student's published degree program length.

The renewal of academic scholarships is based on the student's cumulative grade point average. Renewal of athletic or talent scholarships requires that the student meet the participation criteria established by the Division Chair or Athletic Director or coach.

Students will not receive any financial assistance if they owe refunds on grants or are in default on a loan previously issued by Central Methodist University or another college, or are not maintaining satisfactory progress in the course of study they are pursuing according to the standards and practices of the University. Please refer to the section below on Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress to Maintain Financial Assistance Eligibility.

All funding is awarded in accordance with state and federal policies, and those policies set forth by the Enrollment Management Committee. Central Methodist University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sexual preference, religion, sex, national origin, age, or federally defined disability in its recruitment and admission of students. Concerns regarding financial aid should be filed first with the Director of Financial Assistance. Appeals may be made to the Vice-President of Finance and Administration.

Note: Effective Fall 2022, All institutional scholarships are used for tuition and fees except for Varsity Athletic Scholarships not to exceed Cost of Attendance.

Student Employment

On-campus employment is available to students. Students must check with the Office of Financial Assistance to verify whether work-study awards will fit into their financial aid award package. Upon verification of eligibility, students should contact the Office of Career Development to apply for openings. Students may also contact departments for information on available positions. Once a student has been selected for a position, they are required to complete a W-4 form and an I-9 form in the Payroll Office. Minimum wage rates are paid. Paychecks are available in the Business Office on the 10th of each month (September 10th - June 10th) for hours worked the prior month.

Book Vouchers

The CMU Business Office will provide a book voucher to eligible students, upon request from the student, for use at the CMU Bookstore for needed textbooks and supplies. To be eligible for a book voucher, students must have all financial aid paperwork completed and be due a refund. Eligible students can request a book voucher once they have returned to campus for the semester, and a charge for the amount of the voucher will be placed against the student's account. Students can determine if they are due a refund by checking the financial assistance and billing and payment sections of their myCMU account or by calling the Business Office or Office of Financial Assistance. Even if eligible, students are not required to use the book voucher or purchase books through the CMU bookstore.

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to Maintain Financial Aid Eligibility- Undergraduate

(effective July 1, 2021)

All students who receive CMU, federal, or state financial aid must make satisfactory academic progress toward degree completion. There are two components used to measure academic progress: Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) and Pace of Completion. Minimum criterion for both components must be met to achieve satisfactory academic progress. Academic progress is reviewed at the end of each semester.

Outlined below are the minimum requirements to meet satisfactory academic progress:

  • Cumulative GPA: Cumulative GPAs are calculated according to procedures outlined in CMU's General Academic Regulations.


Credit Hours Attempted

Minimum Cumulative GPA

1 to 29


30 to 59


60 to 89


90 and beyond


Graduate/Professional Level

Credit Hours Attempted

Minimum Cumulative GPA

1 and beyond



Failure to Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress

A student who fails to meet the minimum acceptable standards will receive a financial aid warning for a period of one semester via email. The student will be considered to be on Financial Aid Warning. All minimum requirements of satisfactory academic progress must be met by the end of the warning period to maintain financial aid eligibility. During a financial aid warning, a student is still able to receive financial aid. If the student improves his or her academic progress to at least the minimum standards, the warning will expire.

Students who have received a financial aid warning, and fail to meet minimum satisfactory academic progress during the warning period will have all federal, state, and institutional aid terminated, including student loans and work study. The student is considered to be on Financial Aid Suspension. Students will receive notification of financial aid suspension via email and first class mail at their permanent residence.

A student suspended from financial aid eligibility may appeal the decision and petition for financial aid reinstatement. Appeals must be made in writing to the Office of Financial Assistance for review by the Enrollment Management Committee. Appeals should document the circumstances that caused failure of academic progress, as well as a plan to improve progress to meet the minimum standards of satisfactory academic progress by the next review period. Any student who appeals and is approved will be considered on Financial Aid Probation. Students on financial aid probation will remain eligible for financial aid. Granted appeals may have additional stipulations outlined by the Enrollment Management Committee.

Students suspended from receiving financial aid can also re-establish eligibility by bringing their academic progress back into compliance with the minimum requirements of satisfactory academic progress.

Pace of Completion

Students must complete at least 67 percent of all coursework attempted. Students who receive financial aid from CMU are required to submit official transcripts from all previous institutions. Any hours that are transferred to CMU will be included in the number of credit hours attempted and earned. Incompletes and withdrawals are included in coursework attempted. Audited and remedial coursework is not included. Repeated coursework is included.

Maximum Financial Aid Eligibility

Students must complete a degree program within a time frame of no longer than 150 percent of the published length of the degree program to receive Federal financial aid. All attempted, withdrawn, or transferred credits that apply to a student's degree program count toward the maximum time limit. For example, a student pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training must complete 120 credit hours to meet the degree program requirements. The student may attempt up to 186 credit hours, after which time the student will be no longer be eligible for Federal financial aid.

Notice will be provided to students that have reached 100 percent of the published length of their degree program. Notice will be provided via email each time academic progress is reviewed until the student reaches 150 percent, at which time the student will no longer be eligible for Federal financial aid.